Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day of the Dead and Halloween

Since I've been in Mexico, I've come to appreciate Day of the Dead traditions. It's truly a celebration of life and a time set aside to spend time with loved ones that are gone. I've participated several times. This year I probably won't go to the local cemetary because I don't know anyone there but I'm thinking of setting up a small altar in our courtyard for some people that I miss and think of often. I miss my mother a lot. She would, ofcourse, be horrified if she were alive and I told her what I was going to do. She was a strict Episcopalian and I'm pretty sure she would have thought this practice to be sacrilegious which is defined as:
"when the sacrilegious offence is verbal, it is called blasphemy. "Sacrilege" originates from the Latin sacer, sacred, and legere, to steal, as in Roman times it referred to the plundering of temples and graves. By the time of Cicero, sacrilege had adopted a more expansive meaning, including verbal offences against religion and undignified treatment of sacred objects".
I think this definition is a little harsh and conservative because the practice of celebrating and remembering important people in your life appeals to me in a huge way and it's a positive and happy event. When you go to the cemetary (Pantheon) on Day of the Dead, it is filled with people talking and laughing with their dead friends and relatives. You hear music and people stop by to visit. There are photographs, candy, sometimes beer and tequila,lights and beautiful altars. It's colorful and lots of fun which is as it should be. Many times there are vendors at the entrance to the Pantheon selling candles and religious items as well as food and drink. I went a few years ago with my friend, Elvira, to visit her father and we spent three hours there laughing, crying and talking. I think it helps us deal with the pain especially when it involves a young person or an unnatural death. It's part of the culture here just as it's in the culture to place a cross or monument on a road to mark the place of a traffic fatality.

Since we live in a predominantly American/Canadian town it is really tied in with Halloween. We've heard that we'll have trick or treaters and we have candy for them. It's going to be a big night because there are also two costume parties to go to. My understanding is that Halloween is the day to remember the children and the next day is to honor adults. For me, my little altar will be a stage for reflection and a time for me to spend some time thinking and talking to my mother and some other important people that are gone. I hope to make it a personal tradition from now on. I am looking forward to it. I'm thinking my mother will forgive me for any blasphemy committed.

7 comments:

  1. Nice posting Girlfriend!

    Usually it is Man rather than God that gets all upset and Religious about things like this.

    Doing things in rememberance of our loved ones honors them and God. Praying to them or offereing sacrificing to them is forbidden. I am sure your mother knows the difference and will smile upon your show of love and respect.

    We wish we were there for this time of year. It is facsinating and beautiful. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most of us would like to be remembered in such a loving way when we're gone. To decorate a little altar with lights, candles, treats and photographs, while reflecting on the departed ones is a very thoughtful tradition. The Dia del Muertos customs are so much more meaningful than Halloween, which seems to be focused on evil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I was worried it might seem a little weird to my US peeps, but you guys are both a little Mexican at heart anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Jan!!! I'm thrilled you are back to posting again!!!! I think it is wonderful to spend time remembering loved ones...and I'm so glad you explained all of this...I never really knew what this Mexican holiday was about even though I'd heard of it growing up in Southern California! Fascinating background and tradition! As usual, I learn so much reading your posts!! Love to you~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, when my daughter died five yers ago I made an altar. It was a gut wrenching day with much sobbing and pain. But an interesting thing happened as the days passed (altars typically are set up on the 28th and left til the 2nd). As I would pass or sit and reflect, peace came to me. A great peace. My dog Flash slept next to the altar although she always, always slept on the bed with me. I was astonished at that as Flash had never lived with Jennifer. Flash was killed just two weeks later and I took her ashes to the place that we had taken Jennifer's.
    Life comes full circle. The spirits know all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Chihuahua, where I lived last year Day of the Dead was barely celebrated. But, I was introduced to the tradition at the migracion office while waiting to pick-up my FM-3.

    Someone had set-up an alter for a former collegue, I imagine. There were photos, books he liked to read, the alcohol he liked to drink and the cigarettes he liked to smoke.

    I never met him, but I felt I knew him because I sat for a few minutes gazing at the altar.

    Now that I'm in Oaxaca I'm watching a celebration that began Thursday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan,
    Underneath the strict Epicopalian, as you know, lurked this very funny and eccetric woman....i'm really happy that you did this for her, SHE WOULD LOVE IT ! Next year I'll be there with the 'rest of her' and we'll do it up big....in fact a fiesta and great band....she loves music, dancing and merriment....and most of all YOU! thanks for doing this for her! I love you!
    Scarlett

    ReplyDelete