Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Shopping Ritual

I love shopping in San Carlos. I needed some fresh fruits and vegetables today so we headed down to Tony's Truck. First we stopped at the vet so Teddy could get his tick fever shot and some follow up pills. He loves the vet, Vanessa, and she loves him. I told her about my dream of getting another border collie (so Bruce could see that yet another person thinks it's a great idea). Clearly, she's on my side. It's not that Bruce is opposed to it. He's just trying to be practical, but really when has that ever really worked out or been fun. I've had a premonition that Teddy is going to have a playmate.

Tony's place has probably been described before because it's so unique and he and his family are so nice. I'm new here so I'm not sure how long he's been in business, but I can say he is the quintessential entrepreneur here in San Carlos. He has clearly studied what the gringos want and need and he gets it. He makes shopping very easy. I'm pretty sure he gets his Sonoran beef at the Villareal meat market in Guaymas. That's where we go when we're in Guaymas. To us, Sonoran beef is what US beef used to be. It's just delicious. Tony also carries chicken, pork, fresh fish, fresh crab, fresh shrimp and on and on and on. Today I was in the mood for mahi mahi (dorado) and I bought a couple of beautiful fillets, some chicken, some smoked pork that Bruce loves and some chorizo and breakfast sausage Mexican style. We are trying to eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and Tony has the freshest ever. I bought potatoes, baby potatoes, red onions, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, beautiful mushrooms, fresh ginger, avocados, peppers, carrots, and nopale. We also bought fresh orange juice (Tony's wife makes it), butter, real cream for our coffee. The last minute point of purchase items that we bought were homemade peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip, freshly baked bread and banana bread. I popped a cookie in my mouth in the car and can I just tell you that it was so delicious and fresh and rich made with lots of butter or shortening. The bill came to $480 pesos, about $40 USD. That's incredible to me and it's another thing I love about Mexico. It's easy and inexpensive to buy great and healthy food.

Tony's place is neat and clean. All of the perishables are kept in giant ice chests according to what they are and laid out very neatly. It's all organized and they are very helpful and fun. Tony is an unusually tall, nice looking Mexican man who is very nice. I've never met his wife but she makes lots of goodies. I think his sons work with him too. I'll probably know more later on when I really become more known to them. I'm sure I need to prove myself by shopping there through a couple of seasons. Right now San Carlos is pretty empty. Most everyone has gone back home for the summer or taken their RV to cooler areas. We like it when it's like this. It's so quiet and peaceful. Now I'm off to Chocolate for a double process hair appointment. I'll keep you posted. Keep your fingers crossed! It could go either way.

3 comments:

  1. Good news if you like Tony's: The past couple of years he has closed for the summer, but this year he promises he'll stay open, for us year-rounders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How'd the hair turn out? I have had a good result from the lastest box I bought a while back. I am still cutting off the icky stuff that was damaged from the harsh bleaching.
    Keith and I were in Caborca, Sonora last 4th of July. We had heard that is the best cattle country. It does not disappoint. However, the locals kept asking us why were there as this is not a tourist town. After driving around, we soon found out why they were so suspecious. The drug cartel has moved into that town. What used to be a cow and farm town, now has huge mansions, Hummers and sports cars. There is a look of helplessness in most of the people eyes. We also saw lots of military and policy activity. I hope they get the place under control for the sake of the society there. One of the most beautiful churches we have ever seen is in Caborca. We had a thunderstorm while there and got to witness the town under 3-4 feet of water. Most the shops are built well above the street, so it must be pretty common.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jan:
    Oh, I am so glad you are happy with your hair. I know of unsettling that can be.
    Keith and I are thinking about driving to Guaymas over the 4th of July. Hotel Armida looks like they have some good rates and most everything else in SC looks booked. Anyway, if we do come down, we can meet at a restaurant for drinks and look at the plans or you can scan them to us. I think we could probably google earth the lot and figure out how the pools sits. Keith is most concerned with the location of the equipment and the surface of the pool. If the pool sits lower than the equipment, special pumps sould be used. Our email address is: kflynn31@cox.net

    ReplyDelete