Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Teddy

We've had a couple of nice days just enjoying being back home and into our routine. I love going outside in the morning and enjoying a cup of coffee. I know that all of my fellow Mexico bloggers know what I mean when I say that the birds are spectacular in the morning. We have smaller birds that hang out around the yard and it's wonderful to watch the pelicans and frigate birds catching drafts higher in the sky. I lost my hummingbird feeder in a storm in Sayulita last year and I'm still looking for a replacement.

Teddy and Niko are thrilled to have us here. Unfortunately Teddy had several ticks when we got home and when we had him tested yesterday for heart worm we discovered he has a mild case of tick fever. He doesn't have heart worm and will get medication for tick fever tomorrow. Poor Teddy. It's not slowing him down a bit. Our vet says he will be absolutely fine, but I was panicked at first.

I hope everyone understands how much I love this dog. Next to Bruce (and Niko) Teddy is my very best friend. OK maybe he's tied with Laurie. Teddy's breeder, in Shelton, Washington, has new border collie puppies and the idea is planted in my head that Teddy could use a companion to run on the beach with. Most of all, we love Teddy so much that we want another one (well Bruce didn't really say that). Border collies are smart and sweet and active. Teddy is fixated on car and truck tires going round and round and he watches them from our car window. It's kind of strange to other people, but really I think it's a sign of supreme intelligence. He is incredibly well behaved and he minds us. That is not because I have trained him well. It's because he's just smart; much smarter than both of us. He goes everywhere with us unless it's just too hot. It's great to have him along when we cross the border or get stopped at the random and numerous checkpoints in Sonora. Though they won't admit it, a lot of Mexican men are a bit intimidated by dogs. This can work in our favor (and has). It saves us a lot of time though Teddy's plan of attack would be to lick someone to death.

Teddy has driven cross country with me three times, driven up to Oregon, toured the country in the RV, been to Yellowstone, Mesa Verde and Zion National Park, spent lots of time at my sister's house in Oregon and with my boys in Missouri. He's been to the east coast. His best friend, a husky named Lila, lives in New Lebanon, New York and he's been there for weeks at a time. We have stayed at just about every single dog friendly motel on I-5, 395 and I-70. He loves the midwest because of the cows, horses and sheep. After all he is a herding dog. Some day I'm going to take him on a vacation where he can spend the day herding sheep and cows. He doesn't care for goats, finds them annoying. There are various ranches that accommodate herding dogs and their owners and they are like dude ranches for dogs. You pay for the experience and your dog works all day long. Border collies will never stop even if they are tired. You literally have to stop them. That would be a highlight in my life. He loves my son, Tommy's farm, but Tommy's sheep are herded and protected by a donkey so Teddy's not really needed there though he loves going there. He loves to play frisbee and loves to chase his toys, but he doesn't quite bring them back. He brings them near us, but will never bring them directly to us. It's a little nuts and we don't know what this means. Three years ago in Puerto Vallarta (with absolutely no training) Teddy and I won first place in the Owner/Dog Look- Alike contest. He is a red border collie and he has a couple of freckles so yes, we do kind of look alike. We got a blue ribbon. I also entered Teddy in Best of Show but I think since he ran me around the field and had control of me, we didn't win.....some hoity toity well trained beautiful golden lab won. We were gracious but we knew that we should have gotten that prize as well. We figured there was a political reason the other dog won. Teddy should have won. That was our first and last experience at a dog show. Teddy just feels that competing isn't right. He would rather just hang out and watch tires.

4 comments:

  1. ....oh how Teddy! Maxx the cat pretends to find Teddy rather annoying, but he confided later, that it's really FUN to have Teddy around, sqeaking his squeaky toys and attempting to lick us all to death...really...it's okay! We miss you, Teddy!
    love and dead mice, Maxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home. Someday we will get a Border Collie. I had a Shelty growing up, so I know all about herding dogs. Ginger used to herb me, my sister and all our friends around. When the door bell rang, she would herd the cats to the back of the house. We will get one that is black and white to match our Tuxedo Cats, Gordon and Burford.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teddy is a wonderful personality!!! I LOVE dogs...and have missed ours so much since he died!!! Glad you are home, and hope that you had a wonderful time!!!! I am taking a break, yes...but I hope I will not be gone long!! And when I return, you can be sure I will pay you a visit! I will miss you while I am away...but look forward to catching up with you!!! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bienvenidos! You're home! Hope you enjoyed Chicago.

    ReplyDelete