Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Good Day

Today was a nice day of communicating. First of all, I had a nice visit with my friend, Bliss, at our local coffee house which included some pie (apple, pecan and a take home blueberry for Bruce) and delicious coffee - just two cool chicks on the loose on a Thursday morning. It's fun to have the luxury of coffee with a friend and companionship and conversation with another woman. I didn't do that enough in Sayulita.

I didn't sleep well last night because we had a big thunder and lightning storm, the first big one of the season and I was excited; I didn't want to miss it. It just went on and on and we got some great rain which really cooled things off. Niko was on the bed with us and Teddy was almost under the bed, but he did ok. He's generally pretty ok when he's near us. It was really cozy, but I didn't get a lot of sleep.

When I got home Bruce was busy in his office, as he has an actual job, so I presented him with his pie and he was happy. Of course, we're both on diets, a sort of Scarsdale diet which really means cutting down on the white carbohydrates and eating healthy, healthy, healthy and smaller portions. We both need to lose weight and get ourselves in good shape. Bruce is doing better than I am. It seems that I have to work up to the concept of a diet and really feel good about it. I know I can do it. I was really tired so I flipped on the TV in the bedroom and there was a James Lee Burke movie on (one of my favorite mystery authors) so I watched for a while and had a little rest. Alec Baldwin was playing the Dave Robichaux character and it was great, plus I love the bayou setting. I had a nice rest and felt much better after that. It just seems so luxurious to be able to do that without feeling guilty.

I did some kitchen cleanup and laundry, answered some great emails, talked to my sister, Laurie, about her coming down and the changes in her life. I can't wait for her to come down and see San Carlos. I can't wait for her to see the mountain in person. She's a wonderful artist and I know she'll get some inspiration here. I so want her to just take it all in and then paint it plus I miss her so much and our great laughter together.

Out of the blue, I got a call from a guy from Phoenix who is starting a deli here. He's the guy I was defending on the San Carlos forum and we've become friends. We had a great talk about the new deli coming here in the fall. He is a great character and I think his business will do really well in San Carlos. We also need another great character here in San Carlos to add to the mix. I'm still trying to figure out why there is petty terrorism going on in the forum. Actually, I'll never figure it out so I haven't gone there since my run in with Bombero. I've decided if I need a shrink I'll make an appointment.

One of the highlights of the day was that Bruce talked to another contractor here who I think we're going to use for our house. We thought we had someone, but the price just kept going up and up and the communication wasn't happening like we had hoped. We were supposed to break ground this month. The creativity wasn't there with the original contractors either. Our first instinct was to go with the contractor we talked to today, but we took a different turn at first for a variety of reasons. I can tell this is going to work much better and I'm excited (finally) to work with someone who seems to understand what we really want (and care). It's a long story of course, but I was getting worried because things just weren't flowing with the first contractor. Everything boils down to honesty and communication. It turned out to be a really good day and then I went out and threw Teddy's toy for him. You should see the moon over the mountain and the stars. It's unbelievably gorgeous.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jan,
    We had that storm last night as well, but pretty late so I didnt get up. I was sleeping good so I didnt want to screw that up. I have no anxiety this morning and I look at the task for me as just that. As nasty task, then I get the joy of welcoming my grandchildren into our home. I hope to post tonight about the kiddos. Thanks for your email last night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you hit it off with Bliss, she is a really cool person. And it sounds like San Carlos is a good fit.

    Good luck on the weight loss, it is much harder to lose weight than it was when I was young. I've been watching old episodes of The Biggest Loser to try to stay inspired, it is kind of dumb but it is great to see those people go from huge to big to large to medium right before my eyes.

    Cool about the contractor, you really need to be comfortable with someone you trust with your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan - Aha! You've noticed that men lose weight easier than women. One of life's little inequities.

    I hope you're getting references on any contractor you use here in SC.

    Really happy to hear about the deli guy opening here. Hope he makes good coffee too. (You know how I love good coffee.)

    James Lee Burke is one of my favorite writers too. We usually have at least a couple of his books in the SC library.

    The local Forum is really infuriating until you get to recognizing the loonies and stop reading their posts. There's often good info there too, so don't let the nutcases drive you away. (They're easy to spot, they often use the name Anonymous.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy Lee Burke, as 1st Mate says, is one of our favorite writers. I enjoy his references to "the program" that Robichaux is involved with, but they drop that stuff in the films...

    I really love summer in SC, too. We get a different crowd in town (then they leave in a big hurry) in the summer. The pace is more sedate and slower, and things can wait...

    Viva San Carlos has its share of crazies, just like any cross-section. My tactic is to ignore them or just make the general, face-saving statement, "Well, yes. You could be right," and then I go get a cookie.

    ReplyDelete