Friday, March 26, 2010

Lunch and Shopping In Paradise

Today is an exceptionally good day. I had lunch at a new restaurant out in the north beach area. I was with two good friends, LeeAnn and Janey and time with them is always fun and positive. They are both involved in making San Carlos a better place. We sat in what felt like an open Moroccan style area with couches and low tables - kind of a private room. The owners have designed several unique areas within the restaurant. They have incredible taste and the food is fantastic.
Although business is slow in San Carlos, a lot of people are taking the time to look into the future and make the town prettier and more cohesive as a community. We already have the surrounding beauty - the mountains and the Sea of Cortez, but there's no town square and we could use a good facelift in town. San Carlos needs to take more care of their buildings and regulate the signage. We want to keep our town feeling like Mexico too and that's not easy. A lot of people come from the north and don't like to use pesos or even attempt to speak Spanish. They want it to be just like Arizona or Texas. I strongly disagree. I enjoy interacting with the Mexican people and their families. I have learned so much in the past seven years because of my time in Mexico.
As usual I've gotten off of the subject, which was about an exceptionally good day. Lunch was great and we couldn't stop talking about our ideas and things that we would like to see happen in town to make it more charming. After lunch I drove back into town and bought two pairs of sandals that I have been admiring on LeeAnn for the past three weeks....so you see it wasn't an impulse buy. Well maybe the second pair was. A store that I almost never go into has turned out to have fabulous and affordable shoes and clothing! I need some sturdy but great looking sandals for my trip to Hong Kong next week. Now I think I'm ready....almost.

7 comments:

  1. Nothing like female bonding to get the ideas flowing. And new shoes, too! Sounds like a near-perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaahh, here is the rub. How to make SC look and feel like Mexico, yet look and appeal to Americans? Make that happen and work well and you will make history. IMHO I say stay with the Mexican look. America has little in culture and appeal lately any way. Ya, I am a bit bitter and upset to say the least...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bliss. Chrissy, yes it's a challenge and it's been upsetting for me over the past year to see some classic "ugly" American behavior in this town. We are in Mexico after all and I love it here. I saw the same thing down south....norteamericanos putting all of their energy into changing the little towns into towns that meet american and canadian needs. It does little to make relations work. Dont be bitter, keep going with your quest to move here. You can make it all work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am flying into PVR on the 13th of April with a return ticket 10 days later. Just me on this trip. Keith has to stay and work. I will be staying in Guayabitos with friends that live there. We are planning a trip to SC in May. I will keep you posted on those plans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you are going to Hong Kong? How exciting!!! I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back! And what a lovely lunch!! The setting sounds fabulous! I think it so much better to adapt to the culture...so much more joy from your ex-pat experience that way! Have a happy and safe trip! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stopping by to see how you are and if you have returned!! Sending you love and hugs, Janine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wondering when you are coming back to your bloggie desk...miss you! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete